Sunday, May 10, 2009

Catching Up

It's been almost a month since I updated this blog, so I have a ton of things to say, but I am going to keep it short and sweet. There are two main things that need to be updated. First, I want to share a bit about the Exponential Conference and then I want to share some of the great things that are happening in my neighborhood since Easter and the last blog entry.

Unfortunately I didn't get to stay for all of Exponential, but the days that I was there were absolutely great. I spent the first day and a half with two guys Hugh Halter and Matt Smay, authors of the Tangible Kingdom and co-pastors of Adullam in Denver. Really good discussion on "Missional Practices" that was relevant to local churches and church planters. I also heard from other great speakers like Erwin McManus and David Ferguson, but the main reason I went to Exponential was to spend time with Hugh and Matt. I've got a ton of notes and highlights, but I want to share a few of them with you.

First, I took a bunch of notes about the idea of faith communities and churches. I wrote that faith communities are groups of people who are exploring spiritual issues together. Many of them may even be following Jesus, but many may not. A church is a group of people who are committed to following Jesus together; who are committed to God, to each other, and to being an expression of Jesus to the world together. A faith community needs Christ followers to give direction and Truth to the spiritual journey that those in faith community are on. People are seeking spiritual guidance from each other, the internet, and many other places. The Church should be committed to becoming part of faith communities so that each community can become part of the Church.

Another thing we talked about was the difference between being a believer in Jesus and being His apprentice. Apprenticeship is learning by doing, not just watching or listening or reading. Apprentices are apprentices because they are in process of becoming like their Master. Jesus chose His disciples because He intended for them to become just like Him. Are our churches doing a good job of making apprentices?

I guess that's a pretty good transition into what's going on in my neighborhood. Easter was a major transition point for us. Before Easter we were a friendly bunch of neighbors who appreciated each other and occasionally shared spiritual things together. Since Easter we have been a faith community. My neighbors are great people, but not many of them are "church people." They have relationships with God, but they're still exploring what that means exactly. The great part is that we have begun exploring that together. Just this weekend, one of my neighbors asked if we can discuss how to "keep the faith" in difficult times. Another one asked if I could give him some reading assignments and meet to talk about it weekly. He takes his spiritual journey seriously, but just doesn't know where to begin.

I am so thrilled that these men and women have included us on their journeys. I pray that I would be an encouragement to them and that Jesus would use Kim and I to help them become apprentices of the Master. What an honor and privilege. Maybe one day down the road we will be a group of people committed to loving God, loving others, and living sent together.
Blessings,
Shiloh

No comments: