Thursday, January 22, 2009

Proselytes vs. Disciples

I had a great time with the Lord this morning and I just had to share something that came up. I have been reading through a book called "Lead Like Jesus" and there is a story in there by Avery Willis that struck a nerve with me. He describes a time when he was president of a seminary in Indonesia when he was convicted of his leadership attitude. He read through Matthew 23 and heard the Lord correct many things that he was doing poorly or wrongly. Verse 15 jumped out to me when Jesus said, "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert (proselyte), and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are." Really strong words from our Lord.

Avery shared his own personal convictions of how he had been making converts instead of disciples and that concept struck a nerve deep within me. Am I any different from the Pharisees here? Are you?

There are many similarities and overlaps, but there is a significant difference between proselytes and disciples. Proselytes change from one set of "rules to live by" to another; they change religions. Disciples don't follow rules, they follow a Person. So what's the difference, what's the application? In our attempts to "win people to the Lord" are we giving them a set of rules to live by, or are we giving them Jesus to follow?

Another way to look at it is like this. If someone decides to become a Christian and all we give them are teachings about Jesus, then we have missed the boat. Satan and his angels know much more about Jesus than most people in church on Sunday mornings. We must know Jesus personally and decide to trust Him with everything and follow Him anywhere, no matter the cost. There is a big difference between knowing about President Obama and knowing President Obama personally. There is an even bigger difference between knowing about Jesus and knowing Jesus closely enough to follow Him.

Do you think the first disciples knew what they were getting into when they heard, "Come follow me?" Maybe not, but they knew enough to leave everything and follow Him. What are we following? A set of rules to live by, or a Savior? Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not _____________?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'" (Matthew 7:21-23) What will I fill in the blank with? What will you fill in the blank with?

Am I making disciples, or simply making converts to another religion? Am I giving people a Lord to follow, or a set of rules to live by? Am I showing others the way of Christ with my life, or talking about Jesus like I would a Hollywood star? What about you?
Blessings,
Shiloh

No comments: