Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fresh Manna

I've been learning a lot about myself as I have been reading through the Psalms. Today I realized how much I am like the Israelites when they were told to gather fresh manna each morning, but they stored leftovers anyway (see Exodus 16).

Today as I read through Psalm 28 I saw David's hunger for a fresh encounter with the Lord. He wrote, "To you I call, O Lord my Rock; do not turn a deaf ear to me. For if you remain silent, I will be like those who have gone down to the pit." Wow, now that's a serious desire to hear from the Lord. Not me. I am all too hasty during my quiet times with the Lord to recall previous encounters, previous words, previous feelings of His presence. I am content with leftovers far too often.

I used to hunger for the Lord's fresh manna every day. The time I spent living in Africa, so far from my "home" and my comfort zone I was so much thirstier for the Living Water. Now that I am back and have settled in again I am content to eat leftovers of what the Lord blessed me with before. The problem with that is that when the Israelites who kept the leftovers went back to it in the morning it was "full of maggots and began to smell." The manna of the Lord that is given to sustain and nourish us is given each day. The manna that was honey to my lips yesterday may very well be sour today. Lord, may I desire your Word to come to me fresh each day just as David hungered for it.

May we all hunger for God's fresh manna each day.
Blessings,
Shiloh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting that whereas the Israelites were to gather fresh each day the provision for their needs that day ( which were plentiful and fully provided). What I'm saying is this we have to be active in this! God will give if we are willing to ask! If we are willing to go out God will provide the harvest. We just need to be active and willing to be of use. But again it takes action on our part.