Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thoughts on Leadership - Part 2

Well I didn't intend on waiting a month between these posts, but as you know, stuff happens. The good news is that I've had more time to think and reflect and learn new things about Leadership since the last post.

In the past few months I have had one particular statement and theme repeat itself quite a few times. Just a few days ago it was repeated again. Eric Voelz was a guest at our local Reproducing Churches gathering here in Ocala. Eric is a missionary Bible teacher who lives in Sweden. One statement he made was that we (church leaders) tend to find natural leaders and try to make them into servants, but what Jesus did was to call servants into leadership. Neil Cole said something very similar at the Live Sent Conversation. My paraphrase of what he said: We look for leaders who will serve, but God looks for servants who will lead.



Most church leaders put a high priority and strong emphasis on service and servanthood. Many of them also struggle with being treated like servants. Most local churches that I know treat their pastors and other leaders very well. Some even seem to be placed on pedestals, but I'm not so sure that's a good thing. I'm not saying that we should be cruel and disrespectful to our pastors and church leaders, but I think we treat them too much like CEO's of corporations and not enough like Shepherds and spiritual advisors.

I hope I'm not too bold in saying this, but I think there are plenty of pastors out there who shouldn't be, and plenty of invisible servants who ought to be leading and influencing others in their churches.

I was thinking just the other day about how we focus so much time and energy recruiting people for positions in churches. It seems like there are never enough workers for all the ministries that the church wants to offer. We have spots to fill, so we offer leadership training, and classes and on and on. Could it be that we have to struggle so hard with this stuff because we are doing it all wrong? Maybe we shouldn't be looking for leaders at all.

Maybe we should each look for opportunities to serve others as God leads us. Some will feel called to serve a few, some will be called to serve many. Service inspired by our Savior is contagious. Followers of Jesus love to serve others, but they are very hesitant to lead, especially in areas where they aren't comfortable. Maybe churches should only offer ministries and services if and when they have servants who feel compelled by Jesus to serve others in that area. And if that means we don't have a particular ministry, then that's okay.

Leadership isn't about motivating (manipulating) people into doing things they don't want to do. Godly leadership is about serving others, no matter what the cost. Wouldn't you follow someone like that anywhere they asked you to go with them? I know I would.
Blessings,
Shiloh

2 comments:

dawn said...

I've prided myself in comming up with just the perfect idea to "motivate" people into serving in certain church programs ie, nursery drives, GROW drives... If I think about it after reading this blog I realize it is a struggle to get enough workers to make them work. How do I switch gears? I love to serve others-do I serve the program and trust God to bring other servants and if they don't come it's a program not to be done?
I know of one program that I have never had to motivate (manipulate) others to serve in-VBS. Everyone loves to serve in VBS. I think I will observe that program a little more this year and see what I will learn.
"Serving others, no matter what the cost"...now that's a daunting thought.

Shiloh said...

Dawn,
You are wrestling with the right things. Hang in there. Switching gears isn't easy when they are rusted tight. As you give thought to VBS, think about how and where the largest impact could be. You are right about serving others being daunting. Very rarely is true service rewarded, but that's okay because our reward comes in our intimacy with Christ as we follow His commands daily.
Blessings,
Shiloh

PS - Thanks for the good questions.